What are the elements of a French country kitchen?
By Mathilde Vuillemenot | Last update on September 16, 2022
French country kitchen style is very popular. This style embodies the comfort of a country kitchen with the French flair: it's a subtle balance between rustic and chic. In this video, I will focus on the furniture and decor: there are 5 key decorating elements for a French country kitchen. Ready to give a French country flair to your kitchen?
- A rustic table. The main material in a French country kitchen is the wood, for all the furniture (the chairs, the table, and the shelves). Go for a table or an island in clear wood or in wood with white patina.
- Patterned kitchen linens. French kitchen linens look traditional yet elegant, they are made with thick, soft and noble fabrics (cotton and linen). The most common patterns are stripes, lines, and designs of French emblems.
- Decorative boards. From different sizes, types of woods and uses, the mix and match of boards creates a lovely decor for a kitchen. Display them on your backsplash or hang them on the wall.
- Pottery. There are lots of pottery and ceramics in French country kitchens, like several sets of tableware, kitchen pots, canisters, jugs and jars… They can be in pure white or have lovely decors with floral paintings or vintage imagery, for example.
- Baskets. You will find lots of French wicker baskets in French country homes and especially in French country kitchens. They are both functional and decorative. French wicker baskets can host fruits, bread, eggs, flowers, linens or, for bigger baskets, they can store your tableware. For a great decorative effect, think of having several colors of wicker baskets: white, brown, dark…
Et voilà, now you know 5 key elements of a French country kitchen. And if you wonder where to buy them, check our free e-book with the list of the 25 best stores for French decor.